Property Offences Lawyer

Property Offences Lawyer

What is a Property Offence?

As the name suggests, property offence is taking, damaging or destroying someone else’s personal property. Common offences include, but are not limited to, robbery, vehicle theft, breaking and entering, vandalism, shoplifting, theft, and arson.

In some cases, the Crown could combine property offences with other criminal offences. For example, you break into a home, attack the owner, steal the television and computer, then set the curtains on fire as you leave. In this case, the crimes of break and enter, robbery, assault, and arson have been committed. Further, if the homeowner dies from the fire, you would be charged with murder.

The penalty for being found guilty of a property offence can vary depending on several factors including the type of offence and monetary value of the property. Sentencing for a property offence can include fines, community service, probation, and jail time.

If you have been charged with any type of property offence, including, vandalism, break and enter or robbery, do not plead guilty without consulting Michael Juskey. You may have a legitimate defence.  Speaking with Michael at the earliest possible opportunity can help you avoid self-incrimination and ensure that your rights are protected throughout the criminal court process.

Your first conversation with Michael with be a no charge strategy session. You will learn how the legal system works and what options may be available to you.

How to beat a property offence charge?

When you’ve been charged with a property offence, it is usually done by the police based on evidence or admission of guilt. Regardless, there are several possible defences that can be made. The first is upon examining the evidence. If the evidence is proven to be inconclusive, all charges would be dropped.

In many cases, if you are found guilty of a property offence and if no none received any personal harm, the Crown could be open to sentences other than jail time or a criminal record. Alternatives may include financial restitution for the victim, community service, and/or probation.

Are you Facing Criminal Charges?