How will a criminal record affect me?
Unless you obtain a record suspension, a criminal conviction will follow you around for the rest of your life. Among other things, a prior criminal record can be used to attack your credibility in a subsequent court proceeding. Please see below for a non-exhaustive list of the common detrimental effects of a criminal conviction:
– Potential loss of liberty, meaning jail time and/or restrictive probationary conditions;
– Adverse effect on your future earning potential;
– Reduced employability;
– Difficulty travelling outside of Canada;
– Potential immigration problems;
– Social stigma, anxiety, depression – you will be branded as a “criminal”;
– Driving prohibitions;
– Firearms prohibitions;
– Forfeiture of property to the Crown;
– You may have to provide a sample of your DNA to the police;
Are you concerned about how a criminal record may affect you? Call 416-428-2760 to schedule a free, confidential consultation.